Guide to applying for a Canada study permit


The application for your Canada study permit is typically done through the  Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. Do take note that a study permit is not the same as a visa.

You can apply online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website, or apply on paper by following this guideline.

The study permit requirements (if you can’t view this PDF, download Adobe Acrobat Reader on your phone to view the downloaded PDF) include the submission of the following forms and documents:

  1. Forms list:
    • Application for Study Permit made Outside of Canada (IMM 1294).
    • Family Information Form (IMM 5707).
    • Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409).
    • Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) – complete this form only if you are using the services of an authorized representative.
    • Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (IMM 5475) – Complete this form only if you authorize Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to release information from your casefile to someone other than yourself.
    • Custodianship Declaration – Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada (IMM 5646) – Must be completed if the minor studying in Canada is less than 17 years old.
  2. Documents list:
    • Fee payment in an acceptable format. Include the application processing fee and any other applicable fees, such as the biometric fee. Verify acceptable methods of payment with the visa office or Visa Application Centre (VAC) responsible for your region. (Please note that Visa offices do not accept payment receipts from Canadian banks)
    • A photocopy of the information page of your valid passport or travel document which includes:
      • The passport number,
      • The issuance and expiry dates,
      • Your photo, name, date and place of birth
        Note: If you require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and your study permit application is approved, you will need to provide your original passport for the visa counterfoil to be issued. Refer to the responsible visa office for your region.
    • Two photos that meet the requirements of the Visa application photograph specifications. On the back of the two photos, write your name and date of birth.
      Note: If you are required to provide biometric fingerprints and photo, you are not required to include paper photos with your application.
    • Letter of acceptance from where you intend to study (including, but not limited to, Designated Learning Institutions).
    • MIDI’s (The Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration, or Le ministère de l’Immigration, de la diversité et de l’Inclusion) letter of approval to your application for a “Certificat d’acceptation du Québec” (CAQ).
    • Proof of financial support
      • If the duration of your studies in Canada will be less than a year, proof of financial support for the duration of your studies in Canada.
      • If the duration of your studies in Canada will be more than one year, proof of financial support for the first year of your studies in Canada.
    • Photocopy of your Marriage License/Certificate.
      Note: Refer to the responsible visa office for your region.
    • Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office.
      Note: Refer to the visa specific instructions for your region.

The information and application process for a Canadian study permit can be quite a lengthy and complex one, so we recommend that you contact an experienced MABECS Global education advisor and let us guide you through the process for free (not including the application fee, of course).

Have more questions about studying inCanada?

Can’t make up your mind over your course or university?

Experienced MABECS Global education advisors can help you clear the fog and we’re just a call away.

Call us at at +6 03-79567655 / +6 010-3140992
or email to reach us immediately.

If you have some time to spare, tell us more about your needs:

Fill in quick enquiry